Written In Red: A Novel of the Others

Written in Red - Anne Bishop 4.5 StarsI consider myself a good girl. I don't drink, I don't smoke and I keep my nose clean. Yes, most of you would probably consider me boring. (Hell, so do I.)But if this book was a drug, I'd definitely stand in line right now to get my next fix. What the hell just happened?This book was so much better than I expected. So better than I dared myself to hope. Especially, since of late any book I touched seemed to turn out to be another unoriginal, hype-oriented, easily interchangeable story. But this book had something. It definitely had monsters. I love monsters. They are cruel. They are mean. They are no puppies to pet or spirits to control. And they will eat you. AWESOME! I cannot stretch enough how much I enjoyed Bishop's recreation of the most popular, and overused, supernatural creatures. The characters were another great surprise. I barely ever loved this many characters apart from the protagonists. While I would have wished the 'bad ones' would have been given slightly more depth, I absolutely adored Meg and Simon. Meg (while not generally my-type-of-heroine) just fit right into the story; she was interesting, witty, and while small and physically weak no pushover. Simon...rough, mean and probable-kitten-eater,...in another world I'd be another of those brain-dead, human bimbos haunting HGR, craving for his beastly attention. *Sigh* What I mostly loved about Meg and Simon was that their relationship, their chemistry wasn't forced but felt natural and developed realistically. (I do, however, feel a tat unsatisfied after reading this volume and cannot wait for more intensity to come in the next.)The plot I thought could have been better (that is less predictable) at times, but still had moments where it knocked me off my feet and hence was all-in-all definitely enjoyable.I wonder how I am supposed to wait a whole year for book two...